Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Seasonal Depression

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
I have struggled with this for a while and did not realize it. The symptoms to me were not as noticeable. The more I shared it with others, the more I realized how very common it is.
According to Web MD, the symptoms for SAD are:
  • decreased levels of energy
  • difficulty concentrating
  • fatigue
  • increase in appetite
  • increased desire to be alone
  • increased need for sleep
  • weight gain
There are many treatments for this type of depression. Most people that I have talked to about this go tanning for a few minutes at a time once or twice a week. You can also do light therapy and a lot of times, your insurance will pay for the light required for this. If you feel you have this disorder, I strongly suggest you speak to your doctor about possible treatments. There is no reason to suffer through the winter season when there are options available!

No comments:

Post a Comment