Saturday, November 13, 2010

Finding a hobby


Aloha from Hawaii! My family and I are finally getting settled into our new home. I'm so exited to be blogging again!
As LeeAnne said in her previous post, we are focusing this month on not losing our identities as mothers, wives, women, etc. I wanted to write a little bit about finding a hobby.
It happens all too often. We wake up one day and think, "I don't know who I am anymore." Which can lead to so many things, depression, mid-life crisis, affairs, etc. I do not want that to happen to me. I think it is so important not only for our sake but for our families sake to take care of ourselves spiritually, emotionally and physically. And having a hobby or working on a talent is such an important part of that.
I grew up taking polynesian dance. I loved it. I excelled in it. It gave me confidence (not to mention a killer work out :)) When I moved to Utah, I could not find anywhere to take it and missed it terribly.
I tried out some other hobbies/talents that my friends enjoyed; scrapbooking, sewing, crafty things. While I had a little fun while I was doing it, I didn't get super excited to do it. Scrapbooking completely overwhelmed me in fact.
When we found out we were being stationed in Hawaii, to say I was excited would be an understatement. I knew that I would definitely find a Halau to dance with here. I started my first class on monday and came home so excited. It is such an uplifting experience to do something that you have a passion for.
I also have joined a group called Stroller Strides. It is so much fun! Stroller strides is a fitness program comprised of moms with stroller age children. They have classes all over the country. You can find a class near you here. It gives me a killer workout and an opportunity to meet other moms.
I challenge you to find or revisit your talent/hobby that you have a passion for and truly enjoy. The options are limitless!

3 comments:

  1. shevaun! that is so great. i am really happy for you you've found something (again) that you love. that is super important. keep it up!
    and i'd love it if you update your davis blog sometimes too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous that you are taking Halau! That would be so fun and it sure doesn't hurt to have a blast while burning calories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey it's Jess, lulu is my blog name and my nickname from my family. This is a great blog and such a positive way to influence others! I know if and when we leave I will miss so many things here that will be no where else, but I am excited about new places and new ventures. Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete