Monday, November 23, 2009

Obama Signs New Bill that Benefits Spouses of Active Duty!


I recently received information from my FRO (Family Readiness Officer) that Obama has signed a bill that will give the opportunity to spouses of all Active Duty personnel to claim their original home state on their taxes even after they have moved to a new duty station.
For example: when my husband received orders to North Carolina, I changed my home of record from California to Montana where he also has his home of record at. In Montana, my husband, as long as he is active duty, does not have to pay state taxes.

When I began working in North Carolina, I was required to pay North Carolina state tax even though it was not my home of record or where I hold my drivers license. This bill now changes that! I can now pay my taxes in Montana rather than North Carolina!

Each state does vary on income tax so you should check your home state's taxes before you voluntarily change your state on your taxes. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment