Friday, July 9, 2010

Surviving Summer


I love the summer. It really is my favorite season. My daughter is not old enough to go to school, but I have two sisters with elementary age children. Every summer I hear them talking about their plans on how to survive having their kids home during the summer. So I thought I would write down a few suggestions for my blog readers :)
Contact your local community center; almost every community center that I have lived near has had plenty of free or inexpensive activities for kids.
The movie theatre near one of my sister's has a free movie on the same day every week. Check with your local theatre about that, and if they don't do it, make a suggestion! They make a lot of money off of the snacks that all the parents buy.
There is also a plethora of resources online of fun activities that you can print off. I know Disney has quite a few.
Swimming! That is by far my favorite thing to do cause I can work on my tan at the same time :)
If there is not a pool near you, slip 'n slides are a fabulous investment. Even my 2 year old had a blast on them.
The other day was my sister-in-law's 18th birthday and we made ice cream in ziploc baggies.
here is a link with instructions: http://crafts.kaboose.com/ice-cream-in-a-bag.html
it was a lot of fun, and I'm pretty sure I burned off most of the calories from the finished product just by making it.
I could go on and on with more ideas, but I thought I would open it up to you. Feel free leave comments of other great things or traditions that you like to do during the summer.

2 comments:

  1. These are some awesome ideas, Shevaun! Thanks for sharing! I would also like to mention going to the library! As long as you have a membership, books are free to borrow, and you really don't want your students backsliding during the summer months, so keep them reading! This bit of advice from your friendly neigborhood teacher. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also forgot to mention that if you are living near or on base and they have a base theater, you can see movies there for like $1. Make sure you check your base theater because prices could differ, but it is a great cheaap way for you to take kids to see movies or go on a date night with your hubby while being on a tight budget.

    ReplyDelete