Friday, June 4, 2010

Finding Those Bargains!!


Hello everyone. This week's post is going to discuss ways to find bargains for all of our everyday needs.

In today's economy, every penny counts. Here are some ideas that my family follows when making purchases.


  1. Major purchases (i.e. furniture, expensive electronics, etc.): try to make these purchases on a holiday weekend. Holiday weekend sales can be extraordinary and you can get great pieces for your home for a fraction of the price!

  2. Clothes: I recently lost quite a bit of weight and none of my clothing fit- in fact, I had to deplete my wardrobe by over half of what I had. In order to make up for this loss, I looked for sales. I always shop for my needs last, so had been putting off getting new clothing. Old Navy had a 30% off everything sale and I was able to purchase- 2 new jeans, 2 jean Bermuda shorts, 4 t-shirts, jean skirt, 3 jean toddler shorts for my son, and a pair of flip flops for him and spent about$140. I also surfed my favorite local site www.lejeuneyardsales.com (you can go to this site and look for if you have a local site in your area) and purchased 2 new dress skirts for church for $7 total.

  3. Online shopping: you can shop on sites like e-bay for items that are a fraction of the cost or major stores like Walmart when they have their free shipping promos!

  4. Don't be afraid to go garage sale hopping! You can find great clothes for the whole family, accessories, and sometimes some great furniture and appliances! You may have to look through a lot of junk to find the jewels, but they are there! I like to go to garage sales in higher end neighborhoods! You never know what you will find!

  5. Sometimes, we will open a store card to get the 10-15% off our total amount and then pay it off immediately in order to pay a lesser amount on larger purchases. If you do this, make sure your credit is good and make sure you do not leave a balance on it after the first month. It will accrue interest after the first month which will add that discount you earned when you opened the card back on (then there is no point).

  6. Make sure you shop those sales! We just pre-purchased for the school year all of the shoes for my two children about a week and a half ago when Payless Shoes was doing their buy one, get one half off promotion. My daughter came home with 4 shoes plus her dance shoes for this fall (so 6 pairs) and my son came home with 5 pairs and I came home with 1 pair. We spent about $120 on all of these shoes!! (12 pairs of shoes!!!). Kids don't need expensive shoes when they are still growing, so if you are able, look for them at garage sales or purchase at discount shoe places. They have cute shoes for inexpensive prices!

If you have a great way that you save money when making purchases, let us know in the comments section! This is a great forum to share our ideas and every mom needs ways to save every penny!

4 comments:

  1. I appreciate your tips!! I love FreeCycle.org, especially for children's toys and PaperBackSwap.com for books for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Nisha for sharing! I haven't used PaperBackSwap as I prefer to go to the library to check out books. Also, I didn't put this in my article, but my husband and I don't go out to a lot of movies anymore; rather we use netflicks through our Wii console and only pay $9 a month. So for you savers out there, that is a lot cheaper than a lot of the movie rental stores/movie theaters especially if you have a large family! Movies don't cost $20 now, they are more like $50 for the average family of 4.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's another tip LeeAnne. Gedt your mother & grandmother to sew for you & your children. You know they love it (LOL). I am quite serious though. If you or a loving mother/grandmother are handy with a needle, break out that sewing machine & watch for fabric sales. JoAnne's patterns are always 1/2 price & if you watch their sales, you can get even better prices on patterns & fabric & one pattern can make several outfits so you can really get you money's worth. Watch for those coupons & really save big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love garage sales!!!! They seriously are awesome. I have found such great deals going garage saleing. I have a close friend that had furnished her entire house from garage sales.

    ReplyDelete